Saturday, May 26, 2007

Rainy day back up

What’s a good indoor activity on a rainy day?

Straightening up the books in the shelves?

Done that.

Polished the door handles?

All clean.

Backing up computer files? I know you haven’t installed an app that does it automatically yet.

I know it’d be much faster, but it’s not a question of speeding up the mechanics of the process. It’s a question of naming folders and files so I can find stuff.

Why bother when Google can find anything on your computer?

Still got to give the folders and files useful labels so the google-hound can sniff ‘em out.

Not necessarily. Google can find files if you give it strings of text within the files.

Scary. Not only that but I like to file stuff according to categories that I make up.

You’re a control freak, you know that?

It may make life a bit more complicated, but it all makes sense to me. I have close on a hundred My Documents folders. From Articles in the As, Blogs in the Bs, Cooking in the Cs, and so on down to Websites in the W’s.

Zs?

Don’t have any Z’s. A few in the subfolders. And there are thousands of those. In my Blog folder alone I have close to five hundred subfolders named and dated.

But doesn’t all this folder-naming and I imagine, file-naming, take up a lot of time?

No way round it I guess. Good decisions take time. And anyway, we get a lot of rainy days here.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home