Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Present people cannot write future rules

Agosto is having a word with Ottavio, his son, in Scene 24 of a modern remake of “Ladri di biciclette.”
...

Agosto: You are our future. It would be nice if you could carry on the trade.

Ottavio: But I’m not sure.

Agosto: Our family has been part of the Guild for eight generations. Why did I call you Ottavio?

Ottavio: I know this from many times before. But the new ways are the not the same as the old ways. New work is not the same as old work. Why worry about the future?

Agosto: I know this. Even the future has changed. Time was when the present extended into the future. Life had been going on for generations. Ideas were passed down from parents to children. We believed there was a future.

Ottavio: I know. You followed your father, just as he had followed his father before that. But I am not sure if there is a future for my generation. The present changes too fast.

Agosto: You think we are entering a futureless age?

Ottavio: There will be a future. We just don’t know who will live in it or what they will do.

Agosto: Are you saying there may be no Guild?

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home