Saturday, January 5, 2008

Departing from the script

When a script doesn’t go the way the director wanted it to, he has to be diplomatic and pray that the editors will be able to sort it out.

...

Actress: I looked at the script and it’s not quite how I think she would say it.

Director: No problem. The script is just a general charting. It indicates the approximate direction. You decide how we steer round the snags and rocks that pop up in the midstream current.

Later:

Actress: There. I’ve said what I wanted to say. And how I think it should be said.

Director: You departed from the script.

Actress: Meaning we went off in a direction? We were spontaneous? We did begin with the script.

Director: Right. The way you handled it, no problem. That was the prime function of the script. To serve as an approximation.

...

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home