Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Old Testament longhand

Frederich visits distantly related Indian relatives for afternoon tea. They are delightful. Saraswati has made tempting Indian snacks and carrot cake.

...

Saraswati: Have another cake.

Frederich: It’s very good. You have been Christian since you were born?

Samir: Our families were always Christian. Mine for four generations.

Frederich: A long time. You are devout?

Samir: I will tell you this and you decide. I wrote out the Old Testament longhand. Two thousand three hundred pages.

Frederich: Why did you do this?

Samir: So I could know, I mean, really know the Bible. And then, when I had finished I wrote out the New Testament.

Frederich: You kept these works?

Samir: Of course. I had them bound. In leather. And then my wife, she wrote out the New Testament longhand. We bound her work too.

...

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home