Sunday, April 27, 2008

Malaysian English

Eric is asking a Malaysian friend about communicating in English.

...
Eric: Do you mind if I ask you a few questions about Malaysian English? And videotape the exchange?

Rahmat: Can ah. No problem, la.

Eric: So what's the defining characteristic of Malaysian English?

Rahmat: La.

Eric: And where do you think that came from?

Rahmat: Transfer?

Eric: Where do you think English is going? Will it develop into a number of mutually unintelligible dialects?

Rahmat: Oh, no. We all speak same same, soon.

Eric: La.
...

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At April 28, 2008 at 2:21 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is very very funny la
XD

 
At May 1, 2008 at 3:11 PM , Blogger Barry Natusch said...

This post served as the starting point for a series of more serious questions on Malaysian English. Two discussants were videotaped talking languages spoken in Malaysia on April 30, 2008. Some interesting comments were offered, eg "When I gfo to the hawker centre Itry Malay, then I try Cantonese, then I try Hokkien, then Hakka, then Mandarin, and they still don't understand, then I might try using English. I just cycle through different languages until I get a response.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home