Sunday, May 4, 2008

Paint what you know, paint what you see

Two artists, a Chinese and a Japanese, are discussing what they paint.
...
Murasaki: What do you like to paint?

Yang Kuei Fei: Things that remind me of where I grew up, the coast, the jungle, the people.

Murasaki: You don't go outside that?

Yang Kuei Fei: I paint what I know. I can do that. I feel I get inside my subject that way.

Murasaki: You don't travel and see things you want to paint?

Yang Kuei Fei: I travel. I have to attend my exhibitions.

Murasaki: I like to travel and paint what strikes me as fresh and new.

Yang Kuei Fei: You never feel you have misinterpreted, or mistaken the subject?

Murasaki: Well, yes. I have done that. I once painted a combine harvester in a midwestern wheatfield. Someone told me I'd painted it backwards. Combine harvesters have big cutters on the front and I'd put them on the back.

Yang Kuei Fei: You see?

Murasaki: But not knowing too much detail helps me see the essential lines, the basic colors, and from there it's easy to step into impressionism.
...

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home