Sunday, July 27, 2008

Affirming existence

Greta asks Uma why she blogs.

...

Uma: Why write a diary? Why write a journal? Why write anything? Can’t you guess?


Greta: I think you want a witness to your life.


Uma: There is that. It’s a way of affirming my existence. Through a sort of art. It’s like having friends. A life full of artistic friends.


Greta: But there is something else. Isn’t there.


Uma: Writing is a way of keeping my mind alive. When I don’t write, I can sense my communication powers diminishing, my curiosity shriveling up. People may not need to read my blog, but I need to write it.

...

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At July 28, 2008 at 1:24 AM , Blogger Zen said...

For the p'th time I recommend E.G. Webster's... hang on, its just E.G.'s, "The Last American Man".

The Man in question starting writing a diary since he was 12 or something. Excerpts crop up througout the book and make for instigorating (ref: Owl, of The 100 Acre Wood) reading.

 
At July 28, 2008 at 1:30 AM , Blogger Zen said...

Oh, and on a wholly unrelated note, couple of weeks ago Ajit the computer-engineer and budding geneticist told me that too much oxygen is a deadly poison to humans.

Catalyses free radical proliferation or some such gruesome thing.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home